Saturday, May 23, 2009

Black Angels


while on my mission in California i met the most wonderful woman named Shirli Groce. the day i met her i decided to call her "Aunti Suga." one day after seeing my art album she took me aside, away from the other elders, and said, "i wan chyou da pain me a picha...i wan angels- BLACK angels!" Because she deserved it, i agreed. i was so busy while there that i didn't get the chance to paint it. she reminded me the next time i saw her- i re promised, and started on it the month i got home. i finished it up and went back to Cali. unannounced i knocked on her door and here is exactly what happened (i video taped it):
"Who is it?!"
"iiiit's a friend- Spencer."
"what?"
"it's an Elder-Elder Stott"
"OHH," and she opened up the door..."Hey bab-OH MY! OH MY! No. Yes. No! (i guess this is where she noticed the painting) Oh MYYY-AAAAAH HA HAAA!"
"Come here you."
"Ohhh ho ho ha ha ha"
"I'm so glad you're here! Ha, I'm catching you on tape right now, me and you look at that. See. oh well here ya go- enjoy..."
And from there she fell silent and cried tears of gratitude- the best tears in my opinion. she then, after regaining her composure, she told me how her sister died right around the time i went home to AZ and she use to always bring Aunti Suga black angels, you know paintings, ceramics etc. At the moment of death, as she puts it, her sister became her black angel. months latter while cleaning the house Aunti Suga paused to look at a certain ceramic of a black angel her sister gave her. she looked at it, remembering her sister and getting a bit emotional. i guess at that moment i rang her doorbell with the promised painting of black angels. maybe, through me, her sister found it a good thing, at that perfect moment, to send her another piece for her collection.



4 comments:

  1. what a great story! and great picture. I can understand why Aunti Suga would be so emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I love your work. You know I always have, though. Thats a great story. What area was that? It wasn't Ontario was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! The most random wonderful bizarre stuff happens on missions. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was when i was in hesperia...but auntie suga was from bear valley. i know missions just give us the best experiences!

    ReplyDelete